Garnets are beautiful stones that come in a variety of colors, which makes them perfect for jewelry settings. Garnets are reasonably tough and are a good option for everyday use, but when it comes to cleaning, they can be damaged if not handled properly. Understanding how to care for your garnet will keep it looking beautiful for years to come.
How to Care for Your Garnet Ring
Garnet jewelry, like any other, will accumulate dirt and grime from daily wear. Following some simple guidelines for your garnet jewelry will ensure that you don’t inadvertently damage your stone while trying to clean it.
How To Clean Your Garnet Ring
- Polish your garnet with a cloth before cleaning
- Clean your garnet with warm, sudsy water
- For raised garnets, you can clean the stones with a soft bristle toothbrush
- For decorative settings, scrub any portions that do not touch the stone
- Rinse your garnet after cleaning
- Store your garnets in microfiber clothes to keep them from scratching against other, harder, gems
What You Shouldn’t Do When Cleaning Your Garnet Ring
- Don’t use hard bristle toothbrushes to clean your garnet
- Don’t steam clean your garnet
- Don’t use ultrasonic cleaning machines
- Don’t use toothpaste to clean
- Don’t use bleach to clean
- Don’t use salt to scrub
When looking to clean your garnet, remember to use soft materials because garnets can be scratched. Check the hardness of any material that you are considering using with garnets. Garnets range anywhere between 6.5-7.5 in hardness on the Mohs scale, so avoid using anything that’s close to that hardness to avoid scratches.
Where To Get Your Garnet Ring Cleaned?
Like any other stone, garnets need to be professionally cleaned at least once a year. At Diamonds Ltd, we have professional cleaners who can make all of your jewelry look beautiful again. We also offer repair services if your piece has been damaged by wear.